Photo recreation Group summary

04 Apr

Our goal for this project is to recreate a scrapbook that will display our photo¬†recreations using film media and processing. Two of our group members posses cameras that we will use to take our pictures. They are also able to use black and white film and are able to process the pictures. We will be choosing about five separate pictures from the UMW archive to recreate. These photos will cover academics, students activities/ clubs, student life, dorm life and the campus itself. We will also do a small write up about each picture and how things have changed in the past 60 years. In order to accomplish¬†our goal we will need the assistance of the ‘clothing/ Material’ group and will also need the assistance of the entire class as participants for the photos themselves. We will be meeting again to go over what pictures we can reasonably recreate and how we can recreate those pictures.

9 Responses

1. Becca Welker says:

This sounds like so much fun! I’m sure we (clothing group) will be happy to help. We’ve started researching women’s clothing in particular, and if we get together and have a look at the pictures, I’m sure we can help re-create them.

2. Kendall Simonpietri says:

How will we get around the modern look the campus has now? Are there certain areas on campus that may look more time-appropriate than others that might also influence what locations we choose for the photos?

3. Katy D. says:

Have you thought about doing a modern day interpretation of the picture next to the recreation of the original photograph? I think this would make the project more dramatic by comparison.

4. Nicole Steck says:

I like that we’re going to be using cameras that more suited to older-seeming photography. I don’t know if it would detract from the authenticity of the project to then somehow “age” the pictures in Photoshop or a related product; that’s probably something we need to decide as a class (or you guys as a group).
    Unfortunately I don’t think it would be reasonable/possible to do so, but it would be really fun to recreate some of the May Ball pictures, or a daisy chain picture. It would be fun to recreate the students in machine class pictures, but I doubt we still have any of those “machines.”
    I also think – it only requires one student!! – we should recreate the student studying in a bathtub, if only because that is one of my favorite pictures of all time. Surely somewhere on campus still has a bathtub…

5. Claire Brooks says:

I think that if you are doing a scrap book it would be a good idea to include the original photos along with the recreated photos, just to show the change. I also think that maybe you all could do photos from today’s student life, with the class dressed how we are usually and that will show a the change really well too.

6. lepa says:

There are a lot of great photos in Ball Hall that you can look at! Are you looking specifically for group photos or photos of two or three women that we can recreate in small numbers? Might be hard to find a group photo for dorm/student life, I doubt many women were walking in groups of 20 around campus. But it would be interesting to try to recreate photos maybe outside Monroe or Virginia as well.

7. jmcclurken says:

The department also has a high quality Digital Camera we can use.

8. Brooke says:

Personally, I think it would be a cooler idea to recreate the photos in today’s terms rather than try and capture a 1950s scene. I think that’s what the class brought up, or perhaps Dr. McClurken said it. Like I remember a photo in the 1952 Battlefield of these two girls in the post office (it was very similar to ours), and a very tall girl was leaning over to her box on the very bottom while a short girl was on her toes to get to hers at the top; the caption read something like “Post Boxes should be assigned by height.” That could easily be recreated in our terms, since we still see that in the Post Office all the time. I wouldn’t expect all the photos to be recreated in modern terms, but it might be cool to see the differences and the things that still are the same.

Like I told the Clothing/Material group, your best bet for photos will probably be the yearbooks. I’m not sure, though, what you guys decided to focus on.

9. Carrie says:

Is everybody in the class going to be in at least 1 picture? If not, maybe we could look into doing a few more

1930's